Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mediocrity (again) BUT an insightful clue about NY dating

Dear Prep,

Sigh. Went on another mediocre date last night. How much mediocrity can one person take? Apparently a lot! One point of the convo was fairly insightful, though...

Everything was fine last night with NGO guy: cute enough, smart enough to hold a decent conversation, employed, and tall enough, but again, there was NO spark. None whatsoever! I mean, people are cool, I like people, but I don't want to go out with someone again if I don't feel that I click with them. It just seems like a huge waste of time. Cross another guy off the list (just don't tell my mother it's going like this)!

One part of our conversation definitely stood out to me. NGO guy began asking me if I had met a lot of people online, to which I said no (a slight lie but it's less than 5 at this point). Then, he mentioned something about how when he first came to NY, he would go on one or two dates and if it didn't immediately work out, he would see someone else instead. Over time, however, he felt that this strategy didn't really work in terms of getting to know another person, so he started giving people "three or four chances" in order to facilitate building a connection with them beyond the first date.

To me, it seems like this makes a lot of sense in a way - someone could have a bad day on a first date, and they might have been The One and you could never know! You never know. Plus, I like the idea of a third chance.... However, I can also see the argument to "hit it and quit it" for lack of a better term, because I'm starting to run myself ragged with all of this dating.

Rest of this week's schedule: 1. New guy tomorrow, 2. HVAC Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment